A few days ago I wrote a post about my dilemma with the phonetic word drawers I inherited. After looking through all 8 drawer sets, I noticed that all the words were CVC words. Since the cards have been used for many years and are in kind of beat-up shape, I decided to redo them. I stayed up way too late last night working on them, but I know I will really like the finished outcome. Instead of color-coding the words by vowel and consonant, I color-coded them according to the letter "set" they are in. As I mentioned in the previous post, in my training the letters were divided into three groups. I have listed the groupings here:
Red: r a m f b i t g Yellow: p o n l h u s c Blue: d e x q y z v w j k
For the word drawers, using Microsoft clipart and text boxes in a Word document, I made matching word and picture pairs using the letters in each color group. Of course, the red group will have the fewest number of drawers, because it has the fewest letters and the other two groups incorporate letters from the previously learned groups. Each drawer will have five words and their matching pictures. I was able to come up with over 90 word/picture pairs, and I think that is a sufficient amount to allow lots of practice in decoding CVC words. My training did not include the pink/blue/green series, but the way I have it set up my red/yellow/blue drawers would replace the "pink" series. I plan to also make a set of "light blue" word drawers which will have words using short vowels and blends as well as a set of "green" word drawers which will include the vowel pairs and digraphs. Below is a photo of one of the pages I made last night. I will print this on white cardstock, laminate it and cut it out. Then it should be able to fit into the word drawers I photographed in the previous post.
Here are links to the 16 pages I made. You are welcome to download them and use them with your own children or children in your classroom.