Last night I finished sewing the card pouches that were on my to-do list. I had purchased several card sets from Lori at Montessori for Everyone that I wanted to make pouches for.
The pouch on the top left is for the Living/Nonliving Matching card set. I used a batik fabric from Hancock Fabrics. This one is just a simple pouch for all the cards to go into in a group. The other photos show the card set. If you haven't already done so, you should check out Lori's products. They are so nicely done with really beautiful graphics and photography.
This pouch is for the Landform Cards. You can see that I made three pockets for each of the 3 parts. My measurements were a little off, however, so the cards fit pretty tightly in the pouch. I will see how the children do with this one. It may have to be remade. I have found that it's kind of hard to do these pouches just right without a pattern. Every pouch is different because of the dimensions of the cards and how many pockets you make. I do, however, love the colors of this batik fabric, especially with the land and water photos.
This pouch is for the Geometric Solid Matching Cards. I LOVE this card set. Her photos are so great for making the abstract concept of the geometric solids more concrete. This pouch, however, was a PAIN to make and I had to completely start over from scratch. You can see from the photo at the top right that I decided to make 2 pockets on top of each other on the inside. I did this because I wanted the control cards separate from the picture cards. The stack of picture cards is much thicker than the control cards, so I had to make the pouches deep enough to accommodate this. This was no easy task. But I really, really like how the pouch turned out.
The final sewing project of last night is below. You may or may not remember that a while back I had planned to use the yellow geometric fabric (same as for the geometric solids pouch above) to make a Mystery Bag to use for the geometric solids in the classroom. And I actually did make a Mystery Bag with that fabric and basket back in June. I used this tutorial. I did not, however, ever show the result on the blog BECAUSE it didn't turn out right and I was mad. It took a VERY long time to sew the fabric to the top of the basket. And when I was done with that step, I realized that I had not made the fabric tube long enough. When the top was cinched, it would barely fit over the top of the basket. I knew I would have to redo it, but I needed to take some time out before I was ready to rip off all that sewing and start over. Last night I was finally ready to start over. This time I probably erred on the side of making the fabric tube too long. However, there is no doubt now that the children can play a Mystery Game using all the Geometric Solids in the basket at once AND have plenty of room to reach inside and feel around. Even if they have long arms :0)
I am really happy now with this project. It will sit on the Sensorial shelf next to the Geometric Solids and the new little card pouch. To play the Mystery Bag game, the Geometric Solids are placed into the basket. You can either tell the child a solid to find, and they reach in and try to find it by touch. OR the child can lay out the Geometric Solid cards and try to find one of the solids by touch. OR they can reach in and grab one and try to name it before pulling it out to check. This game could be played with a friend or independently.