Last night (LATE last night; maybe it was actually this morning), I created another turkey activity for the classroom. The idea for this turkey came from a reader of the blog, Donna, who told me about it after she read this post. THANK YOU, DONNA! Donna is also a preschool teacher and, as she said in her email, we all benefit when we share our ideas. When asked, she graciously said I could use her idea and post about it here on the blog. So, I did!
I think it turned out pretty cute. The body is made from brown craft foam. I just traced around a small paper plate for the main part of the body and free-hand cut out his legs, wings, head/neck, beak and wattle. All the parts were adhered using my hot glue gun. The feathers are hot-glued onto large wooden clothespins. See the photo below.
Here is a sideview of one of the clothespins.
On the shelf, the turkey will be on a tray with the feathers in a basket. I hope the children will have the finger strength to easily use these larger clothespins. We have only used smaller wooden ones so far. If they encounter any major problems, I'll edit this post to reflect any changes I make.